March 1, 2010

Post Cave Debrief

Saturday's ride was exactly what I was going for.  Figure-8's around Babler State Park.  Ride the ridge a while to warm up, then bomb down the center road and alternate veering left or right at the Y.  The shorter climb to the left was manageable for me.  The longer climb past the horse stables, that's the one that gets me.  Past the "Y" there's a short, steep climb, then a short downhill, then the long slog back up to the ridge-top.  I don't even remember half of the last time up that climb.  Heart rate was close to max'd out, legs were dead, and I was thinking I should probably stop or my heart would just quit.  Being an idiot, I just put my head down and thought about one pedal stroke at a time.  Next thing I remember I looked up and was 20 meters from the top.  Oxygen deprivation is a beautiful thing.

So beautiful, I think I'll go back on Tuesday.  "Base miles" be damned.

No comments: