January 5, 2009

Of walking and bone density

I have weak shin bones. Always have. So I started walking to work, in the hope that the mild impact would inspire them to be stronger. It worked! The first few days I had some ferocious shin splints, easily recognized from my days running track (400m). Over the Christmas break, I went about 1.5 weeks without significant walking, being off work and all.
So today I was back to work, and walked in. Shins are sore. Do my shins really lose mass that quickly?!?! Shocking. By the way, that is not my leg. My leg is much longer and better-looking. That leg is short and stumpy. Plus my leg has cool scars. Chicks dig scars, right?

So needless to say I will continue my walking adventures, and my semi-regular consumption of yogurt and calcium supplements, in the hope that my leg bones will not waste away to the point that I am hobbling along on toothpick-like bony stumps.

No comments: