December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve...again?!?!?!

Well it's that time of year when some of us look back at the year nearly passed. Some notable changes this year:

1) Around August, I received an early Christmas gift, in the form of my niece Madelyn! She likes shiny things, movement, and believes the entire world is meant to be eaten. In this photo (courtesy of Tim Productions, LLC), she is mesmerized by the shiny bow, and is wondering how she can get it into her mouth.
2) Built "Velotron", a bike I've been thinking about for many years.3) Have been in the role of robot repairman at Pfizer for a full year now. It still astounds me that they trust me to keep ridiculously expensive robots working, and even more so they trust me to not utterly destroy them. This in itself is odd enough, but considering my education is in molecular biology, and my original career was in genetics, it's a little strange. Although being in a service job can sometimes by trying - even with my legendary patience - getting knee-deep in complicated electro-mechanical contraptions is a joy for me. It combines my affinity for gadgets, computers, and science. And, unlike bench science, it lets me roam free and get to know lots of different people and the science they're doing. Although I bitch and moan about Pfizer and its astounding bureacracy, it's a good job.

4) Gained more weight. This is going to have to change in 2009, as I am well and truly fed up with it. Makes it impossible to go up hills on the bike with any kind of velocity. Not to mention it's not particularly healthy.

5) Moved to a new place which is WAY better than the old hovel. And I only have two bikes parked in the living room, instead of 6. The 2nd bedroom is for bike storage...

6) The Super Wagon is still a joy to drive.

7) I marvel at how I still feel like a kid, in a 36-year-old body. Sure I get the occasional creak and groan, my eyes don't switch focus as fast they used to (and I notice it), my brain isn't quite as quick as it used to be (still plenty quick though, thank you), and all the other little things that go along with getting older. But in my brain I'm still a kid, still amazed by little things and easily amused. And that makes all the difference in the world.

8) My back, which was plagued with agony the past few years, is doing amazingly well! I attribute that to more exercise and, mostly, spending more time on the road bikes. Somehow it helps, I can't explain why.

9) I'm very, very happy my brother managed to get a great girl to love him, get married, and start a family. Amy is the best sister-in-law a person could ask for, it's obvious that they love each other very much, and it makes me happy that they are so happy. And "M" is wonderful.

10) I am strangely not bothered by not having found my own wife. You would think it would, me getting up there in years and all. There have been a couple of close calls with women I've wanted to marry...but neither of them worked out. One of them probably for the best. I still wonder about the other one, though...what might have been. Emily...yes my one big regret that I was too young and stupid to realize how wonderful you are. I hope you're happy now and met a guy who appreciates you. But everything works out, and I can't complain.

11) Hair. I'm very happy I still have all my hair. I don't generally think about it much, but that's probably because it's all still there. Just a little greyer these days. And better groomed because of my excellent hair stylist (and friend) Elizabeth.

12) And lastly, I'm deliriously happy that I still love riding bicycles. After 25 years of riding, you'd think it'd get old, but it never does. If you don't ride, I'm sorry to say you have no idea. When the bicycling bug has you, it's a wonderful thing. The sense of freedom, speed, quiet, power...well it's beyond words. I can only hope everyone has something in their life that makes them so happy. Otherwise, what's the point?

Hard to believe it's almost 2009. My brain is still stuck in the '80s. Back when Windows would fit on a floppy disk, and my computer didn't even have a hard drive.
I hope everyone had a great 2008, and looks forward to 2009. Here's hoping!

No comments: