July 10, 2009

Progress report


Ah...final victory over the new Trek. As you may recall, the drivetrain has been bugging me. I got it all tuned in, and it shifted flawlessly. Except for what I considered to be excessive noise. I considered maybe it was the new 10-speed, or the giant carbon tubes. Being me, I was unable to leave it alone. Turns out the b-tension adjustment was off. I figure it must have loosened itself at some point. SRAM specifies a 6mm gap between the largest cog and the first pulley. I set it. BAM! Still makes a little noise, but it's what I'd consider normal for a bicycle. Sounds goooood. Now I can ride without the constant distraction of a clickety-clackety drivetrain. It's the simple pleasures that keep me going.

In other news, my fitness is improving. I find myself seeking out hills, rather than shying away from them or slogging dejectedly up them. It's good to have enough power and fitness to go up a hill in a reasonable gear at a decent cadence rather than grinding up at 30rpm, panting and struggling for every meter. Of course, living in the bottom of a valley, with only 10% climbs in every direction, does help. Every time I step out the front door I have no choice but to climb my way to freedom on the open road.

And as always, watch the Tour! Today was a fantastic stage, Contador leaping to the assault. This weekend is sure to be entertaining.

No comments: