July 1, 2009

Still tearing my legs off

Yep, still going at it. Yesterday I met two MS150 veterans, Mike D. and John S. at Babler Park for some good old-fashioned hill-thrashing. Two hours and ~30 miles later, my legs were toast. Actually not completely toast (like the Wildwood Death Ride), but nicely fatigued. I even "attacked" if you can call it that. Not so much attacking my riding buddy, but the gentle roller that had the temerity to appear in front of us. I went at it with the big ring and am happy to say I crested the subtle rise and powered over the top without exploding. One of those "last hurrah" sprints as a ride draws to its conclusion. I do that, it's weird. I suppose since I stealthily (?) upshifted and jumped from behind you could vaguely call it an "attack". Announcing my intentions probably nullified any "attack"-iness, though. That and the general lack of velocity.

I scooched my saddle back about 5mm to eliminate some big-gear front-of-knee pain -which worked - but now my calves seem to be doing a lot more work. Baffling.

No comments: