June 27, 2009

The Trek is getting there, and I will too

The Trek is nearing the perfect state of "dialed-in". New bike kinks are getting worked out, new saddle is on order. It's taking longer than usual due to a lot of travel lately, but it's getting done.

In other news, a dude I know took pity on my paltry pedaling prowess, and invited me along on one of his recovery rides to show me some of the roads of Wildwood. Quite frankly, I have no business riding with this fellow, as he's a leading racer in the area, regularly putting the beatdown on people in the mountain bike scene. I suspect he dialed back his "easy" pace even further just so I could keep up, and even then my legs were shot at the end of 30 miles. I'm not so used to hills, and Wildwood has plenty of them. Beautiful roads, though, and good company. My computer showed an average, jaw-dropping 13.3mph average, with ~2,800 ft. of climbing. The kind soul who hobbled himself to allow me to keep up, has done the same ride at an average pace of 20.6. That's pretty much the difference between a soapbox derby car, and an F1 car. And the relative horsepower is probably pretty close, too.

I've determined that I'm slow due to two primary factors. Excessive weight and lack of fitness. Too many hours noodling along on the Katy Trail, for sure. I need hills. I will have hills. Hills - and eventually some group rides - will kill both birds with one stone. Hills are probably good for building power, extending the aerobic threshold, and raising basal metabolic rate. Bam!

The Trek was awesome on the ride. Shifting was crisp and clean, no chain-dropping, didn't have to think about the bike at all. A couple of descents edged into the 40's, and one even into the 50mph range and the Trek was solid as a rock. The demo Arione was just a perch to park my butt while struggling along, which is what you want in a saddle. No rubbing, chafing, or other drama.

No comments: