June 17, 2009

Cycling Psychology

So I read a lot of cyclists' blogs. Mostly after getting back from a ride of my own. One of the recent hot topics is "nutrition". It can not be denied: you need food to ride. I myself have bonked many times, though my bonks generally have more to do with dehydration than lack of fuel.

Which leads me to my topic. Somehow, over the years, I've come to look at water as "fuel". Other cyclists talk about slamming down a Gu or gel or energy bar and - though it is physiologically impossible to instantly metabolize sugar from your stomach into your bloodstream - immediately feel a boost. I get the same thing, but from water. Clearly there's no caloric value to water. Sometimes on a tough ride I will over-hydrate, feeling bloated from all the water intake, simply because when I'm suffering taking a swig of water alleviates some of the pain and gives me a little shot in the arm.

So where does psychology end and actual nutrition begin? For most, around 2 hours. If I do a ride with no food intake, I can "feel" my muscles run out of sugar around the 2 hour mark. Dehydration is much faster, and much more severe. On a fast ride on a hot day, I can feel the power loss after 30 minutes. If I don't drink something instantly (if not sooner, I should know better by now!) the bonk sets in and 13mph is about all I can manage. When the chills start, I know there's trouble on the horizon, and I look for some water and some shade.

So when I see people lining up for a 40-minute crit, or a 30-minute time trial with Gu packets tucked into every nook and cranny of their kit, I have to smile and marvel at the power of psychology. And I smile at my frugality - water is cheaper than Gu. Tastes better, too.

What keeps you going on rides?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I too 'need' my 60 grams of carbs per hour of cycling, 55 & im in hell, 50 and i would surely die.

Sarcasm aside, my energy drinks also contain electrolytes, without these, i cramp up after 20 miles, and thats a feeling that certainly isn't 'all in your head'. As romantic and stiff upper lip as doing away with science in favour of good old fashioned water on long rides is, without replacing the salts you sweat out, your liver will stop functioning.