June 14, 2009

Pedals, pedestrians

Today I opted to do a couple hours at Creve Coeur Park. I've largely given up on this park, due to the high numbers of meandering pedestrians and/or meandering low speed cyclists. I don't mind pedestrians or slow cyclists...except when they completely disregard the lane striping and wander into the oncoming lane. Or better yet ride/walk four abreast and occupy the entire width of the path. This makes both approaching ped traffic, and people trying to overtake come to a dead stop while they scamper aside and apologize, belatedly, for their lack of common sense. Little children I can understand, they don't have the "right lane" thing embedded in their brain from years of driving. But adults? Makes me wonder how they drive...

At any rate, I braved the chaos today to do a little pedal cleat tuning. I've recently switched back to Shimano pedals, trying out the new "batwing" design and because their cleats are SO much easier to walk in than Speedplay. Made a few adjustments, cleat position feels much better. Toed in the brake pads a bit, as they were howling at Babler yesterday. Rear brake was dragging after the toe change, no cable adjustment left, so I opened the release and just didn't use it. Also some more tweaking of the drive train is in order, as well as transplanting the Red shifters from Velotron to the Trek. I checked, the Rival shifters that came on the Trek have about 3x the slack before moving any cable compared to Red. I wondered why they felt so sloppy and sluggish!

The joys of dialing in a new bicycle...it can take a while! My two weeks in Indy certainly didn't help, as my legs were gently cramping after only 1.5 hours...

No comments: