July 5, 2009

Progress

Today I managed to go up the Wirth climb at Babler with a tiny shred of dignity. Instead of my previous lumbering, struggling, grinding ascents I managed to stand and turn a decent cadence up 3/4 of it, then sit and turn a slightly mashing cadence over the crest. But I didn't blow up, and it didn't turn into a slog-fest.

I guess what they say is true, to build strength you should climb ridiculously steep hills.

Oh, and the baffling "mystery" of excessive calf usage as a result of seat scooching is over. The kind folks at Ghisallo (thanks Devlin!) pointed out that by moving the saddle back, I've also increased the distance from saddle to pedals. My feet were reaching for the pedals too much. Dropped the seat 3mm (trigonometry!) and voila, problem solved!

No comments: