April 7, 2009

Brian's Bikes Part Two


Velotron! In my continuing series of bikes, here's another. I apologize for the non-action photo, but I'm sure you'll manage. This bike has a relatively mundane story, though hidden within the story are the kernels of glory. You see, my first "real" bike was a Centurion Ironman Master, 1987 vintage. Dave Scott Edition. Semi-sloping investment cast fork crowns, which are gorgeous thank you. It was my first introduction to real road riding, and I rode the crap out of it. I still have that bike, and tales of its' genesis will be forthcoming. Needless to say it is more of a museum piece now. So, to relive the glory years, I bought an identical frame and built it up with modern SRAM Rival components, and modern Open Pro wheels. Actually this is the 2nd of those frames, as the first was damaged in shipping and is no longer with us. It was, in a way, "meant to be". I bought it off eBay, but the seller lived only a few miles away. How's that for coincidence? Same year, same size, same color? Come on! Destiny! This frame is in astonishingly good condition. No significant chips, no rust, no dents, dings, or other flaws. Even the inside of the tubes are rust-free, and I made sure they stay that way with some Frame Saver. Tange #1 steel tubing, "Designed" in the USA, but made in Japan. Hey, I was poor, I bought what I could afford. Still, Japan was just starting to break into the U.S. market during the Greg Lemond "Boom Years", and were building some top-notch stuff to compete with the established marques. If it was good enough for Dave Scott, by golly, it was good enough for me! Though I had no idea who Dave Scott was...triathlete apparently. The dear departed Sheldon Brown also took an interest in the story behind the Centurion line, and has an excellent article here.

Few of my many bikes are worthy of names. Two, actually. Velotron (the one you're looking at) and the SUB. Generally it takes many, many hours and many, many miles logged and some kind of personal attachment to form before I even bother with a name. I anticipate the new Trek will just be "the plastic Trek" for a year or two, depending on how it performs. Velotron got a name right off the bat, because of it's heritage. And it does not disappoint. Velotron. Remember that old '80's cartoon, "Voltron"?


With the robot lions that...er...mated...um...and became Voltron the ass-kicking, sword-swinging giant robot, renowned defeater of evildoers*? In my infinite creativity I just took that and put the cycling spin on it, and there you have it. I'm a biologist/robot repairman, what do you expect? Freaking Shakespeare? Get over it.

Yes, yes that is a Turbo saddle. A very popular saddle back in "the Day", so I had to find one for Velotron. Surprisingly, you can still find new old stock, in the original box Turbo's for sale here and there. Velotron lacks the World Champion stripes, but it's mostly the same. And surprisingly comfortable. It is, after all, the saddle my butt molded itself to in its formative years.

So if you see me and Velotron out and about, say hello. But don't make us angry...rumor has it that Velotron usurped some of Voltron's "Defender of the Universe" technology, and could well kick your ass. Watch yourself.

*The question with Volton, as with all similar tales (Power Rangers, Thundercats, etc.) is why did they wait until the individual lions had had their asses beat down, on the verge of total annihilation, before...ahem...getting together and forming the invincible robot? Why not just do the deed, put the beatdown on the evildoer right off the bat, and get 'er done? There was no particular consequence or cost of forming Voltron that I could discern. Must be some clever message along the lines of "united we stand divided we fall." Or just lazy writers. Or something.

No comments: