December 15, 2009

The Axe Draws Nigh


Well ok maybe not.  Actually I've received an email from management stating that decisions about peon's jobs (i.e. my job) will be communicated in first quarter of 2010.  So I've got that going for me; complete ignorance of my job's status until sometime between January and March of next year.  Reminds me of cable company appointments.  The email was as informative and concise as the normal management communication.  It took about 3 screens of corporate gibberish to inform me that I wouldn't know if I had a job for 1-4 months.  But I was abundantly, repeatedly, and emphatically reassured that they respect me, care for me, feel my pain, and that I should keep working my fingers to the bone for the good of the company until told to stop.

Sadly, I got a call from a friend of mine - he was given the boot today.  Seemed pretty upbeat about it.  It's always a slap in the face to be told your company doesn't want you around anymore.  But how sad is it when a majority of people are happy to get laid off, and actually want to get out as soon as possible?

In other news, the Droid continues to delight.  I had to go to Catholic Supply the other day for a gift for my sister-in-law.  First, the Droid told me where it was and guided me there.  Upon arriving, I had forgotten the particulars of what I was after.  Droid to the rescue!  Pull up the email gift suggestions, review, and bam I'm on my way with a bag full of Christmas joy.  The daily utility of such a powerful device is hard to describe.  Truly a lifestyle changing technology.  And Verizon didn't even pay me to say that.

No comments: