December 6, 2009

Cardiotrainer Part the Second

Well I took the Droid out for a walk today.  Two walks, actually.  I wanted to give "Cardiotrainer" a real-world try.  After a vigorous stroll to the Post Office, I discovered to my dismay that I'd had the program in "indoor" mode, so all it did was monitor my steps and time and infer a distance.  Naturally, after correcting my mistake, I headed out again to the Post Office.  Round trip, 0.85 miles.  14:45.7 minutes:seconds.  69 yards (?  I guess yards are cool for walkers?) of elevation gain.  Average speed 3.5mph.  I know all this, courtesy of the Droid.  It shows a map and all the various statistics.  I tried to go online and check out the website to which my tracks are allegedly uploaded...but it's down.  C'est la vie for a free program, I suppose.

You may be asking yourself...aren't you a cyclist?  Or at least like to pretend?  Why are you walking, like a common caveman?  Well I'll tell you.  I like to walk.  You see more, you can jam out to music, and - let's face it - it is impossible to be so far away from home that you can't just...um...walk back if you encounter trouble.  The worst "mechanical" is an untied shoelace; easily remedied without carrying tools and performing roadside repairs in the freezing cold.

I have to admit, I'm being a weenie this year for unknown reasons.  Typically I have no trouble gearing up and going riding in the cold.  Historically I ride through the winter, at least whenever its above 20 degrees.  For whatever reason I'm just not getting up the gumption this year.  Maybe it's the fancy new indoor trainer.  Why go outside in the cold when I can pedal to nowhere while watching TV?  It will, inevitably, end.  I can already feel the stir-craziness...stirring.

No comments: