December 4, 2009

Guilty!

As I mentioned previously, the front brake nut on my Ouzo fork was cracked.  I didn't notice it upon installation, and you'd think I would have.  I don't think I torqued it down very much at all.  Just enough to snug down the brake caliper and a bit extra to hold it against vibration.  But: cracked.  A clean, complete longitudinal crack the length of the nut.

The replacement nut showed up today.  No cracks.  Installed, no cracks.  The best I can figure is I didn't insert the allen key deep enough into the deeeeeeep recess, and applied too much of a point load to one of the corners.  That's where the crack is, though it's impossible to see in this photo.  Suspicious.  Or maybe it was just one of those things, a flaw in manufacturing.

I don't like it when fasteners fail.  Especially something as vital as the front brake!  Would it have worked?  Probably.  The worst side-effect of this particular crack would probably have been a self-loosening nut.  But, you know, the front brake is pretty important.  And with the nut now able to expand, maybe it would have damaged the carbon fork that surrounds it.  Too risky for me.  So now there's a new, non-cracked nut in place.  Rest assured I will be keeping a close eye on it. 

Now I'm just waiting on some miscellaneous small parts from the LBS, and the Gunnar will be road-worthy.

2 comments:

Ted C. MacRae said...

In the past few months, I've had a cracked rear derailleur bolt and two cracked chainring bolts. They were all aftermarket aluminum, anodized red - looked bitchin', but I'm not having anything to do with that anymore. I took all the rest off and replaced them all with titanium bolts.

Brian H. said...

Well that's good, maybe it was a faulty nut and not a faulty installer! That's what I'll tell myself anyway.