September 30, 2009

Diabolical Winter Plans

So I took the singlespeed up to the Post Office tonight. I finally admitted to myself that it is, in fact, too small. 59cm was the biggest frame IRO offered back in The Day. Uh, four years ago?

Anyway, now vague plans of a bizarre utility bike are stirring in my brain. Something involving a Shimano Nexus 8-speed internally geared hub perhaps, and fenders. And probably a rear rack.

Speaking of strange bikes, the Surly Pugsley has always intrigued me:
Big ol' massive low-pressure tires for floating on any surface and absorbing any bump. Not a "high speed commuter" by any means, but it would be worth it just to roll into work on one of these. Arriving on a bicycle seems to mystify enough people, but to roll in on a Pugsley would send people running for the hills. Security would lock down the site, thinking I was an alien/terrorist mutant hybrid on steroids.

No comments: