September 13, 2009

Slow, but not really

Today's ride was interesting. 10-15mph wind, fine. Right off the bat, I felt weak. When I'd try and push with my legs, nothing much would happen. I made up for it with a faster cadence, which seemed to work out alright. Although it felt like I was struggling just to get by, the speedo told a different story. Not my fastest riding - which isn't very fast to begin with - but not nearly as pathetic as it felt. It happens.

I chalk it up to the following: not going to bed until 3am, not eating since breakfast for a late afternoon ride, and general lethargy. Other than that, the ride was awesome. 80 degrees is perfect cycling weather. Hopefully I can find the energy after work tomorrow to go and give it another try. Winter is just around the corner, after all.

Winter will of course mark the beginning of kayak season! At least for me. I despise kayaking in hot weather. Missouri is too humid to have a good time sea kayaking in the summer - it's just a sweaty, smelly affair all around. And my plastic boat loses rigidity as well, so that's not good. No one likes a flaccid 17' kayak!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

btw, was that you by chance that I saw last Thursday evening on Melrose headed south to Hwy 100? I was doing the Marquette route - alone but feeling good so I kept jammin'
regards--ted

Anonymous said...

Hi Ted, thanks for stopping by. Sadly that wasn't me - wasn't near Melrose on Thursday. Don't tell me there's someone else with an orange bike around!