September 8, 2009

It's Over - road season wrap up

I am sad. The most epic weekend for cycling in St. Louis is over for another year. This weekend we had not only the Gateway Cup - four days of pro-am racing in various St. Louis locations, but also the first stage of the Tour of Missouri.

Not only is the road racing season largely over, but it also marks the start of the slow descent into winter. I will ride through the winter, as I have little choice if I want to maintain my sanity, but it's not nearly as much fun as riding when it's not freezing cold. I am definitely a warm-weather kind of person.

My slow progression to faster cycling has been interesting. Not only is it a matter of fitness, but also of learning *how* to go faster. Just by the mere act of going faster, I've learned that I've never really even remotely scratched the surface of what my body can do. I accelerate to speeds I don't think I can manage, and then somehow manage to manage it, manageably. Also spinning my enormous feet around faster broke down another barrier - brute leg strength (or the lack). I don't quite understand that one, but it seems to work. Must be some biochemical thing in the muscles.

I even bought a fancy-pants indoor trainer to attempt to at least maintain, if not improve a bit over the cold winter months.

Thanks to everyone (TK, Mitch, Ghisallo, John S., Ted, and the kind folks of St. Louis Biking to name but a few) who has tolerated my inane questions or otherwise helped out with my desire to go faster on a bicycle. Some of you know bits and pieces of my struggles the past few years, and your support and kindness has been invaluable to me.

The next four to six months will be interesting. My employment future at Pfizer is in serious doubt these days; whether I remain employed, continue to live in St. Louis, or even if the St. Louis research site remains open will all be determined shortly. Fortunately I have a lucrative set of skills, so I'm not worried much about employment opportunities. Just where my paycheck will come from, and where I'll be living.

Now, I shall go ride my bike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a different perspective - last weekend marked the beginning of the most awesome time of year for road riding! Two months of cool temperatures, sharp shadows, and crisp smells, as the landscape morphs to muted shades of gold, tawny, and orange. Fitness is high from a summer of regular riding, so every ride seems like the best ride you ever had. Worry about the winter after Halloween, and maybe not even then if you've got good cool weather gear. How I adore fall.
regards--ted

Anonymous said...

You are totally correct, fall is a great time to ride a bicycle. Winter is tolerable. Mostly I was talking about road racing wrapping up.

Which reminds me...will my carbon frame become brittle and easily cracked if I ride it in 20 degree F weather?