August 2, 2009

Chesterfield is creeping me out

There are some new apparitions appearing around Chesterfield, and they freak me out. My first sighting was Friday. I went with some guys from work to have lunch with the happily retired Craig the machinist at Chesterfield Mall. At first I didn't notice them- then someone pointed them out. Fake "people" in the mall. "Dude at lunch" was a fake guy sitting on a fake bench, eating a fake lunch in the classic "construction worker" milieu. Another fake guy fake-painting the wall. There were more, but I will save you the horror.

Imagine my shock and dismay when I encounter even more of the disturbing figures around the sports fields in Chesterfield Valley. I was riding around exploring the fields, and nearly toppled when I saw a fake dude apparently reclining on a bench reading the newspaper. In an otherwise deserted area. I quickly spotted more.

They give me the heebee-jeebies, and I high-tailed it out of there. They freak me right out, in a way similar to Willy Wonka. They look relatively normal, but they're just that little bit out of kilter that makes you aware that something is amiss. Kind of like, say, if aliens were pretending to be humans, but not quite getting it right. If one of them ever moves, or even if I think it moved, I may get violent. And as some of you know, I have some experience with beating the tar out of things. Those alien-imposter statue things better watch themselves. 'Cause I've got my eye on them.

I hope they are only temporary installations. Or maybe someone will steal them. Either way works for me. Freaking Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I apologize for not having pictures. I thought of taking one, but I was on my bike and didn't want to give up momentum in case one of them came to life and attacked me. Maybe next time.

In other news, it was a beautiful weekend for riding bicycles.

No comments: