August 11, 2009

Great ride

Some days, you just have a great ride. You don't plan it, you don't know it's going to happen - it just appears all by itself. Today was a great ride. The semi-regular Tuesday meeting at Babler of some MS150 folks and/or coworkers. To be honest, I almost ditched. Poor sleep last night, frustrating day at work, total lack of energy and 30 minutes late when I got home. But I headed out anyway. My ride started pretty lethargic - my computer shared the mood as it refused to work. I pedaled around hoping to meet up despite my tardiness. Soon enough, I encountered Mike D. Then we came across John S. and Jerry C. Shortly thereafter Mike's wife arrived. We chatted for a bit then resumed riding. Mike and wife peeled off to head home; John, Jerry and I continued around the tortuous Babler loops. My computer decided to start working, and I also started to feel pretty good. Good enough that I made it up the climbs without excessive trouble, mustered a couple of "attacks", and generally rode with a decent degree of dignity rather than struggling and straining just to hang on.

The greatness of the ride dawned on me about halfway through. I had energy, the grind of work had washed away, it was hot but not suffocating, and the Trek was nicely orange. Days like these really put an exclamation point on why I love cycling.

Oh - and I took some phone pics of the freaky statues/aliens over the weekend. Once I roust myself to get the pictures from my phone to my computer, I will share them in their bizarre and unsettling horror. Why Chesterfield chooses to install statues rather than repair terrible roads (Chesterfield Parkway, Baxter, I'm looking at YOU!) is beyond me, but there it is.

No comments: