August 19, 2009

Vintage Bikes and Funny Emails

A guy I know who is in the business of providing people with bicycles and other goods, just inquired if I had any big road bikes to sell. Because I'm tall, you know. It's true that my hovel is choc-a-bloc with bikes...most of which were constructed when "Flock of Seagulls" was spankin' new. His reply when I stated what was available was funny: "...house full of my dad's road bikes."

Steel is real! Sure it may be a little heavy, and a little flexible, and it might rust a bit...but man it's smoooooooth. Like the Town Car of bicycles. And yes downtube shifters might be a little hazardous to use when going around corners...or up hills...or ever. Maybe the wheels aren't exactly "straight" or "round" but they do alright. Those 12 or 14 speeds might require you to stray from your maximally-efficient cadence from time to time, and the brakes may stop working at any moment.

I mean what part of "original SunTour parts, downtube shifters, 7 speed" is not exciting?

What was my point? Anyway, I have old bikes.

No comments: