August 8, 2009

Wind Noise

Yesterday, by the last remaining light of day, I was out riding on the Monarch Levee Trail. The wind was howling at 10-12mph out of the SSE, sparse traffic on the trail. Perfect for a little experiment I've been wanting to do. I stuffed my Shure SE115 noise-blocking headphones in my ears, cranked up some Audioslave, and hammered into the (cross)wind. It felt weird, and somewhat nerve-wracking, to not be able to hear what was going on around me. But the relief from wind noise was profound. I didn't go any faster, but the "psychological pressure" of battling through the wind was gone....I could maintain a given speed longer. I wish there was some way to cancel the wind noise, but still hear motorists barreling down on you.

In other news, another creepy Chesterfield fake-person has appeared. RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM MY HOME! Yes that's right, they're getting closer. If you find yourself driving by the Chesterfield City Hall, look at the nice fountain/pond out front. Is that a person standing there fishing? No, it's a freaky alternate-reality zombie cyborg statue from beyond the 9th dimension! Don't worry, though. I'm keeping my eye on them. For the safety of humanity.

No comments: