May 8, 2009

Philosophy


Had an interesting email exchange with a guy. That, possibly aided by my addled concussion-stricken brain, started me thinking. He stated he'd wondered why I would be so nice to a stranger. First of all, thanks - always nice to hear. But second, it's kind of a sad commentary on society. When we live in a society where we all are wary of each other, and kindness is an unusual (and worrisome) exception instead of the norm, what does that say about us?

When did I become nice? I wasn't always this way. I had a job that profoundly changed me. Lonely, physically demanding, mentally impossible, ethically challenging. There were times when I'd be awake for 3 days straight. Days without food. Exhausted. Thirsty. Hungry. Sick. Unable to take a break. Traveling alone. How did I get by? How did I manage? My friends, family, and kind strangers. Some of the airport staff on my common routes came to recognize me. On days when I'd walk up with that thousand-yard stare, mechanically forcing myself along, they'd go that extra little bit to bring me back into the world. And trust me, my friends, that extra little bit, a little conversation, a helping hand, even just a smile can make a difference in someone's life. "You look thirsty, sir, would you like the entire can of soda instead of this tiny cup?" Yes, thank you, you are an angel. Small things, laughable really, but to someone just barely hanging on, it can turn their whole day - or their whole life - around.

I remember one particular flight. Embraer RJ45, nice Lear style regional jet. Des Moines to Chicago, I think, redeye. Seat 2A, best seat in the house. I always had the best seat in the house, because I was Super Executive Ridiculous Platinum Elite Level on every airline. I was exhausted, hungry, my shoulder may have been dislocated. Not tired, not a little sleepy; I was freaking bone weary, would pass out if I could, beyond reasonable human endurance exhausted. I could not sleep on the planes. I definitely had the "stare" going on, eyes open but not connected to the world. Sitting slumped in the seat like a sack of coal, because I couldn't muster the energy for any kind of posture. Stewardess finished her chores, settled into her jumpseat a bit in front of me. I stared at the bulkhead. She said "Rough day?" Just those words, that contact, brought me back to the world. We chatted. Nothing serious, nothing meaningful, just chitchat. One of my best flights. I will always remember her, though I never knew her name. She was no doubt also tired, could easily have gone into her own little world, as I had. But no, she chose a better way, chose to try and make my flight more pleasant, connect with a fellow human being. And that is a fine example for us all. During those times, because of those people, I became a nicer person.

Squirrels. They have a tough life. Lots of predators always trying to eat them, not enough acorns to go around, some of them will starve to death in squirrel-agony. We are not squirrels. Don't act like a squirrel. Be a human being. Act like a human being. We are better than just looking for food and trying to not get eaten. The people around you, treat them as human beings. They are not squirrels. Heck, be nice to squirrels, too. They're just trying to get by, and they have a rough life.

No comments: