May 21, 2009

Time Impact pedals: not for me

Well, after a mere 10 miles of hill-grinding goodness (seriously, not a flat road in my test loop!), I've determined the Impact pedals are not for me. Already a hot spot on my right foot, which does not bode well for those century rides. I think my foot sits just a wee bit too outboard, it kept trying to slant to the outside, so the pedal is likely out.

Fortunately, a friend agreed to loan me his Shimano Ultegra pedals, of the new wide-body design, to try out while he tries out my Speedplays. Irony, no? I probably won't have them this weekend, so I may grind out more miles on the Impacts, and see how they fare. Maybe stick a shim in the right side shoe to level out my foot a little.

In other news, the Trek is great. Drivetrain is already quieting down; the bike is up to 87 miles on the odometer. Of course the same computer told me I hit 88mph today, so who knows. It may be time for a new battery or two.

One downside of carbon fiber...it does not trip traffic signals which previously posed no problem. I guess I can live with that.

No comments: